Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What Kind of Doctor Should I See After a Car Accident?

Follow by Email

It really depends on the type of injury you suffered, and car accidents can be fender-benders with minor injuries or crashes that involve serious injury.

In either case, you should seek medical attention immediately. If you decided not to take the ambulance, because you didn’t think you were injured, you may need a family member or a friend to take you later when your symptoms of pain and stiffness arrive.

Emergency Room or Urgent Care?

Going to the emergency room may be the best option, as you will be seen quickly if your pain is severe. Hospitals also have the best equipment and highest trained physicians, surgeons, and medical experts to diagnose and treat your injuries.

An urgent care facility is better than nothing, of course, though if your injuries are severe, they may send you via ambulance to the hospital for further treatment.

Primary Care Physician

We suggest that you get treated immediately after the crash. However, you can try scheduling with your primary care doctor if you so desire. They may not be able to see you on such short notice, and may not be able to bill your personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, so you may want to consider other alternatives.

Car Accident Doctor

Some physicians specialize in treating car accident victims and have clinics where they can determine the extent of your injuries, treat your back, neck, or head injury and refer you to a specialist if needed.

These doctors also have administration staff who can ensure that you get all the paperwork for your insurance company, your lawyer if you hire one and your employer if you need time off work.

Chiropractors and Physical Therapists

The emergency room or urgent care doctors might refer you to a chiropractor or a physical therapist. Visiting a chiropractor has been proven to work in a variety of studies, particularly in the relief of low back pain, according to Harvard Medical School.

Chiropractors, massage therapists, and physical therapists will help manage the pain, prevent further injury, and increase your mobility if you have difficulty moving your arms, legs, or head due to a neck injury.

Make sure you follow your doctor’s treatment plan and meet with them regularly until you fully recover. Your medical records need to show the details of how you were treated and when especially if you want to get compensated for your injuries.

Orthopedic and Neurosurgeons

Generally speaking, victims in accidents that involve high rates of speed or head-on collisions will suffer more serious injury.

An Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon can help you recover from broken bones, herniated discs, spinal injuries, or a concussion suffered in the accident. The most important thing for someone injured in a car accident is to get treated as soon as possible. Any delay in treatment can extend your recovery time and hurt your case if you file a personal injury claim.

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer

Once you’ve received initial treatment for your injuries, you should call a car accident attorney to talk about what happened and how. The call is always free, and there is no obligation.

An attorney can evaluate your case, obtain the crash report from the police and advise you on the appropriate course of action with the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident.

Best of all, you won’t have to pay the attorney anything since they take cases on a contingency. The attorney only gets paid when they win a settlement for you.