Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

What Should I Do if I Get into a Car Accident?

Follow by Email

Getting involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. Follow the seven steps to make sure you are loved ones are safe and follow the local laws.

Obtain Necessary Medical Assistance ASAP

If significant injuries are present at the car accident scene, do not be reluctant to call 911. Look after yourself and other people as necessary until help comes, but do not attempt to do any first aid that you are untrained in, and do not reposition a comatose or immovable individual unless it is necessary to save his or her life. Although you feel alright following the crash and are fortunate enough to leave without feeling injured, you must still make an appointment with a New York accident doctor, in at least two days if possible. An injury doctor will examine you and perhaps ask for a few diagnostic tests to ensure everything is alright. Symptoms sometimes do not instantly appear recognizable, but it is always best to locate and take care of an ailment earlier instead of later. If you are in pain, dizzy, or suffer from any abnormal symptoms in the days after the crash, be certain to tell your Bronx injury doctor.

Call the Police

You should call the police in any crash concerning personal injury or damage to property. If you could be present when the police come, you can give them a statement about what occurred from your viewpoint. If you could not give a statement at the scene, follow up with the police soon after the crash to obtain a copy of the police report. If you believe that the details are wrong or partial, you must be able to offer additional information. A personal injury lawyer can assist you in getting a copy of the report and rectify any distortion.

Exchange Information

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law demands that you stop and exchange information with at least one other driver involved in the auto crash. The details that you must trade consists of information concerning your driver’s license, carrier insurance, and registration. When trading details, do not offer details about your policy restrictions, or discuss what occurred or who is responsible.

Collect Evidence

While at the accident scene, it can be extremely beneficial to your case if you could photograph the scene, as well as vehicle damage, roadway condition, any other damage to property, and so on. If witnesses are at the scene, try to obtain their contact information. Immediately after the crash, record any details that you believe might be important like the weather and traffic at the time, and how you believe that the crash occurred.

File a Report About the Car Accident

Unless there was at most $1,000 worth of damage to property, you are legally required to file Form MV-104, Report of Motor Vehicle Accident, with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. You can locate this form on the Internet at the DMV website.

Inform Your Car Insurance Company

A New York car accident claim can involve numerous insurance companies, including your own no-fault and at-fault driver’s liability insurances. You must inform your own auto insurance company soon after the accident to safeguard your rights according to the policy. Many policies demand this notification as soon as feasible following a car accident.

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer

The sooner that you contact a skilled auto accident lawyer following your accident, the sooner that work on your case will begin. It is imperative to collect significant evidence while it is still fresh. Also, the insurance company might attempt to give you an immediate monetary settlement quickly after the crash. The amount that they provide is unlikely to compensate for your damages and might be considerably less than your case is worth. If you contact a lawyer prior to you speaking with the insurance company, sign any papers or receive any money, you will obtain the advice and assistance that you need to safeguard your rights and evade making any errors which can endanger your case.